For my second “ice cream” I decided to do a sorbet with some of the fresh raspberries from the local farmers market. Instead of pureeing and straining the raspberries as called for in the instructions that came with the ice cream machine I just mashed the raspberries with a fork. This left some of the raspberries globes intact and they froze more than the rest of the sorbet. The frozen raspberry globes gave the sorbet an interesting texture. The sorbet turned out pretty good. It had a nice texture and tasted great. Sorbets are really simple and the abundance of fresh fruits and berries right now it makes for a lot of possibilities. I really like knowing exactly what is in the “ice cream” that I make.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup crushed raspberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat the water and sugar in a pan until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place the syrup in the fridge until completely chilled.
- Mix the syrup, raspberries and lemon juice.
- Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.