After trying and enjoying coconut milk last week I was looking for more dishes that used it. I came across this recipe that also included kabocha squash (also called Japanese pumpkin). Since I was already going to be picking up some kabocha for the risotto that I had on the weekend I added this to my meal plan. I really like curries including British style curries, Indian style curries and my favorite so far, Japanese curry. Since I had never tried a Thai style of curry I was really looking forward to this dish. Luckily I was able to find some lemongrass at the St. Lawrence Market. I also picked up a small jar of red Thai curry paste. When I opened the curry paste my nose was filled with an amazingly aroma. When I cooked the curry in the thick coconut milk that fragrance only intensified. I was really impressed by this dish. The heat and spices of the curry paste were nicely mellowed by the sugar and the sweetness of the kabocha and peas. I understand that there are many different types of Thai curry pastes and I look forward to trying more of them. I will also have to look into making my own Thai style curry paste.
Red Curry with Shrimp and Kabocha (Pumpkin)
- 2 cups kabocha (peeled, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 14 ounce coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 stalks lemon grass (2-4 inches of the soft bottom inside, bruised)
- 8 shrimp (shelled)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 roma tomatoes (quartered lengthwise)
- 2 servings of rice
- Heat a pan and add the thicker coconut milk from the top of the can and the red curry paste and saute for about three minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, and broth and mix.
- Add the lemongrass and kabocha and reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and peas and cook until the shrimp is cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Serve over rice.
Penang Curried Pumpkin and Prawn Soup