Zucchini or courgettes is one of the vegetables that I did not like when I was a kid. Now I am enjoying zucchini though I find myself short on tasty zucchini recipes. When I came across this recipe I just had to make it. I found the combination of sugar and vinegar add the sweet and sour to the zucchini to be very intriguing. I think that honey might work well in place of the sugar. The mint brightens the dish up and makes it very refreshing.
Sweet and Sour Zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini (sliced thinly)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon mint (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parmigiano reggiano (optional, shaved)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the zucchini and saute until golden on both sides. (about 5-10 minutes)
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the vinegar, salt and pepper and stir.
- Sprinkle the sugar into the pan and stir.
- Add the nuts and raisins and stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the mint.
- Place the mixture on a plate and top with the parmigiano reggiano.
Parmesan Crusted Baked Zucchini Sticks with Marinara Sauce