One of my favorite parts about holiday dinners is the leftovers. In addition to the turkey sandwiches , there are so many different things that you can do with the leftovers. I am always on the lookout for tasty ways to enjoy holiday dinner leftovers and when I came across this recipe for Thanksgiving risotto on Mike’s Table I bookmarked for the holidays. The original recipe called for fresh turkey so I modified it a bit to use leftover turkey. This Thanksgiving risotto is like an entire Thanksgiving dinner all rolled into one dish. You have the turkey and the cranberries from the dinner and the spices remind you of dessert. The risotto turned out great! I really enjoy the way that the sweet butternut squash works in the creamy and cheesy risotto. All of the flavours worked well together and it really was like eating a turkey dinner. The spices added just a hint flavour without overpowering the delicate flavours of the risotto. I garnished the risotto with some toasted pecans and crispy sage leaves fried in butter. I will be making this again!
Turkey and Squash "Thanksgiving" Risotto
- 2+ cups chicken stock
- 2 sage leaves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup butternut squash (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 pound turkey (cooked, cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the chicken stock and sage leaves in a saucepan and keep it warm.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.
- Add the onions and squash and simmer for 5 minutes to start softening them.
- Add the rice and the spices and coat with the butter.
- Add the wine and stir until it has evaporated.
- Add 1/4 cup of stock at a time and stirring until it has evaporated. The rice is done when it is cooked to al dente.
- Add the cranberries and after 1 cup of stock has been added.
- Add turkey, parmigiano reggiano and butter and stir until the turkey is heated.