One of the good things about the weekend is that you have time to make big dinners. This weekend I made roasted chicken dinner. This was the first time that I cooked an entire chicken. I am not sure why I was hesitant about cooking an entire chicken as it turned out to be pretty easy. I decided to season the chicken in a simple fashion with lemon and oregano. The chicken turned out pretty good. It was nice and tasty. I had some lemon roasted potatoes and some spinach with feta dressing with the roasted chicken. Overall it was a really tasty meal. I only cooked a small chicken but I have a lot of left over chicken meat to use in other dishes. Now I also have a chicken carcass with which I can make some home made chicken stock.
Lemon and Oregano Roast Chicken
- 1 (3 pound) chicken (rinsed and patted dry)
- 1 lemon (quartered)
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Fill the cavity with the lemon quarters, oregano sprigs and garlic.
- Puree the lemon zest, juice, oregano, garlic, oil, salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Rub the mixture all over the chicken and under the skin of the chicken as much as possible.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and let it come to room temperature.
- Roast in a preheated 350F/180C oven until done, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. (It is done when the juices run clear when you slice just behind the drumstick or when a meat thermometer reads 170F.)
- Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes.