I discovered the croque monsieur a while ago and I have been enjoying them ever since. A croque monsieur is basically a glorified grilled ham and cheese sandwich covered with bechamel sauce and melted golden brown cheese. More recently I came across the concept of a croque hawaii or a croque monsieur with the addition of a slice of pineapple which sounded good. Now that I had some nice quality ham on hand was the perfect time to try it. The croque hawaii was pretty easy to make and it turned out great! The ham and pineapple combo is a classic one for a reason and it really worked well in this sandwich. A bechamel sauce is so simple and yet when it is infused with cheese it is so good. The cheesy bechamel sauce smothering this sandwich sends it way over the top, though it also makes it a bit messier to eat and using a knife and fork is recommended.
Croque Hawaii(makes 1 sandwich)
2 slices bread (lightly toasted)
1/4 cup bechamel sauce
1 thick slice of ham
1 slice pineapple
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1/2 cup gruyère (grated)
1. Melt half of the gruyère and all of the parmigiano reggiano into the bechamel sauce.
2. Spread Dijon mustard on one slice of bread.
3. Add the ham, pineapple and about half of the remaining gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slice.
4. Butter both sides of the sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides.
5. Spoon the béchamel sauce onto the top of the sandwich.
6. Sprinkle with the remaining gruyère cheese.
7. Broil until golden brown and bubbling on top, just a few minutes.
Croque Monsieur with Pear and Smoked Turkey
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Sandwich
Ham and Pineapple Melts
BBQ Ham, Bacon and Pineapple Quesadillas (aka BBQ Hawaiian Pizza Quesadillas)