The squash, caramelized onion, sage and gorgonzola flavour combo has been on my mine a lot ever since I tried it in the roasted butternut squash and caramelized onion pizza with gorgonzola and crispy fried sage . I was trying to think of new ways to enjoy this particular flavour combination when I realized that I had not had pasta in far too long. I had some pumpkin puree that I wanted to finish and I thought that a pumpkin, gorgonzola and sage sauce would go nicely on a pasta. For some reason I kept thinking about adding some mushrooms to the pasta and since I was going to be slowly caramelizing the onions anyways I figured that I might add some. In addition to adding some sage to the onions and mushrooms I could not resist frying some sage leaves in browned butter until they were nice and crispy and I used them to garnish the pasta. The pumpkin, gorgonzola, sage, caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms flavour combo was amazing and it worked really well as a pasta sauce! I can't wait to try experimenting with this flavour combo some more!
Pumpkin and Mushroom Pasta with Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sage (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound pasta (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 handful sage leaves
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and slowly cook them until they are nice and caramelized, about an 20 minutes.
- Start cooking the pasta.
- Add the garlic, sage, red chili pepper flakes and nutmeg and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the pumpkin puree, cream, gorgonzola, salt and pepper and simmer to reduce for a few minutes.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the sage leaves and fry until Crispy.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce and serve garnished with the crispy butter fried sage.