Throughout the winter I have been heading down to the local farmers market every weekend even though the only things that they have had for a long time is apples, pears and a few heartier vegetables that had survived the long cold days and this week I came across something that I have been looking forward to for a while, the wild leeks. Wild leaks, aka ramps, have a garlicky aroma and an onion-y flavour and around here they are one of the first signs spring produce and the promise of things to come. As soon as I had finished picking up a bunch of the wild leeks I was off to the butchers and then on to the cheese monger to pick up the few ingredients to make this wild leek and double smoked bacon tart that I had had on my mind for weeks on end. This tart is a spring inspired version of the ham and leek tart and it is just as easy to make! You simply cook the bacon, saute the whites of the wild leeks in some of the grease, mix the both up with the greens of the wild leeks, along with some eggs, cream and cheese, pour it into an all butter pie crust and bake it until lightly golden brown.
I have been imagining this wild leek and double smoked bacon for the last few weeks but I did not imagine just how good it would be! The aroma of smoky bacon mixed in with the fresh garlic and onion of the wild leeks is simply amazing but even that does not compare to its fantastic flavour! If you are on the fence about wild leeks this is definitely the dish that will turn you onto them forever. If you are already into wild leeks, what are you waiting for? Make this tart!
Wild Leek and Double Smoked Bacon Tart
Double smoked bacon and wild leeks in a light and flaky all butter pastry crust that is perfect for celebrating Springs arrival!
Servings: makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 6 strips double smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 bunch wild leeks aka ramps, sliced
- 1 pie crust, chilled
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup gruyere, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and drain off all but half a tablespoon of the grease.
- Add the whites of the wild leeks, saute for a minute and remove from heat.
- Roll out the pie dough, fit it to a 9 inch tart pan and trim the excess dough.
- Mix the bacon, wild leeks, eggs, cream, cheese, salt and pepper and pour it into the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it sets and the top is lightly golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Ham and Leek Tart
Asparagus, Morel and Ramp Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
Asparagus and Gruyere Tart
Fiddlehead and Gruyere Tart
Asparagus and Double Smoked Bacon Popover