This is one of my favorite times of the year! The days are finally starting to get warm and one of my favorite vegetables, asparagus is plentiful. The farmers market has been full of locally grown asparagus for the last few weeks and I have certainly been enjoying it. I always like nice simple dishes that show off the asparagus and this asparagus and gruyere tart has been on my radar for a while now. It is basically just store bought puff pastry, gruyere cheese and asparagus. The tart is baked until the puff pastry is nice and golden brown and the asparagus has been roasted to perfection. Roasting asparagus is one of my favorite ways to cook asparagus as it seems to concentrate the flavour which makes this tart all the better. I did make one quick alteration to the recipes that I was looking at and that was to add a touch honey dijon mustard to give it some more flavour and a bit of bite. The asparagus and gruyere tart turned out great! I used a medium thickness asparagus and it was perfectly roasted at the same time that the puff pastry had turned gold brown. The melted cheese, roasted asparagus and light, flaky, puffy crust was an amazing combination!
Asparagus and Gruyere Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed according to the packages directions)
- 2 tablespoons honey dijon mustard
- 2 cups gruyere (grated)
- 1 pound asparagus (cleaned and trimmed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Roll the puff pastry out to a 16×10 inch rectangle.
- Score a line around the puff pastry 1 inch from the edge.
- Brush the mustard around the inside of the cut.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the mustard.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer over the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the outside inch of the pastry with the oil.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the asparagus is tender and the pastry is golden brown, about 15-25 minutes.
Zucchini and Feta Ricotta Tart
Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tart
Zucchini and Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Parmesan Tart
Apple and Cheddar Tart
Wild Leek and Double Smoked Bacon Tart
Asparagus and Double Smoked Bacon Popover
Bruschetta Chicken Pesto Tart