A little over a year ago I made the asparagus and gruyere tart for the first time and I was immediately hooked not only to that particular tart but the whole style of tarts. These simple premade pastry tarts are so easy to make and they always taste great! You pretty much just roll out some puff pastry or oil up a few sheets of phyllo dough and then top it off rather like a pizza with sauces, cheeses and vegetables. Despite the fact that the topping options are near endless I have been enjoying highlighting a single in season vegetable like asparagus, tomatoes or zucchini. One of my favorites so far has been a zucchini and feta ricotta tart so when I came across a zucchini and sun dried tomato pesto parmesan tart on Cook Sister it made it to my meal plan as soon as the local zucchini was in!
In my opinion, you really can’t go wrong with a flavour packed sun dried tomato pesto so I already knew that this tart was going to be a winner. Knowing that the sun dried tomato pesto was going to be key to this dish I set about making my own and homemade pesto is actually rather easy. Although you could mash everything up in a mortar and pestle as is traditional, it is much easier to just throw the ingredients into a food processor and puree them. One of the things that I like so much about making you own pesto is that you can experiment and change up the flavours each time by using different nuts, cheeses or even adding new things like say a splash of balsamic vinegar. With tomato season just around the corner you could even make you own oven dried tomatoes for use in this pesto.
Zucchini and Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Parmesan Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed according to the packages directions)
- 1/2 cup sundried tomato pesto
- 1/2 cup parmigiano regginao (grated)
- 1 handful basil (torn)
- 1 large zucchini (thinly sliced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Roll the puff pastry out to a 16×10 inch rectangle.
- Score a line around the puff pastry 1/2 inch from the edge.
- Spread the pesto over the center of the dough and top with the parmigiano reggiano and basil.
- Arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer on top of the pesto and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the outside inch of the pastry with the oil.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the zucchini is tender and the pastry is golden brown, about 15-25 minutes.