Summer is quickly coming to an end and although I looking forward to seeing all of the fall produce, I am not quite ready to let go of summer. In particular, I have really been enjoying a lot of corn on the cob and zucchini and I figure that I should get my fill of them while they are still plentiful! I had been thinking about using both the corn and zucchini combo in tacos for a while but I kept bouncing back and forth on how exactly to do it until the idea of using a zucchini salsa hit and I knew what I wanted to do. I was thinking that sweet corn and creamy black beans would make a perfect taco filling when paired with the zucchini salsa and a tasty roasted poblano crema would finish the tacos off nicely along with some crumbled cotija cheese.
I picked up my first cast iron skillet just before the summer and I have been enjoying how well it handles high heat. One of the primary things that I have been using it for lately has been to 'roast', 'char' or 'caramelize' corn which really brings out it sweetness and flavour! You basically let the corn sit in the skillet until it it gets a little charred on the one side, mix it up and repeat a few more times until it is slightly charred and caramelized on all sides. This caramelized corn goes especially well in these tacos with the creamy beans and the spicy zucchini salsa.
Caramelized Corn and Black Bean Tacos with Roast Zucchini Salsa and Roasted Poblano Crema
Sweet caramelized corn and black bean tacos topped with a tasty roast zucchini salsa, some roasted poblano crema and crumbled queso fresco that just screams summer!
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 batch roast zucchini salsa
- 1 batch roasted poblano crema
- queso fresco to taste, crumbled
- cilantro to taste
- lime wedges to taste
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and saute until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix in the black beans, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the tacos by topping the tortillas with the corn and black beans followed by the zucchini salsa, roasted poblano crema, queso fresco and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas with Roast Zucchini Salsa
Corn and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros with Roast Zucchini Salsa
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Swiss Chard Pesto
Butternut Squash and Chorizo Tostadas
Corn and Zucchini Quesadillas
Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
Spicy Peanut Chicken Tacos