Sorry about the lack of updates this past week; I had some computer problems which are hopefully resolved now!
You can still get green tomatoes at the grocery store and I have been taking full advantage of that by enjoying plenty of fried green tomatoes including more than a few fried green tomato BLTs! Once the field ripened tomatoes disappear in the late fall the green tomatoes show up and once fried until tender, these tart and tangy green tomatoes make an excellent substitute for red in BLTs! Of course, I like to play around with my fried green tomato BLTs just like I do with regular BLTs and this time I was thinking about a new version with pimento cheese. Normally adding cheese to a BLT might not be the first thing that would come to mind but the addictively good, sweet, spicy and creamy pimento cheese finds a perfect home in one!
Fried Green Tomato BLT with Pimento Cheese
A Southern twist on a BLT swapping out the ripe red tomatoes for crispy fried green tomatoes and adding some tasty pimento cheese.
Servings: makes 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium sized green tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-4 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) or flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- creole seasoning or salt and pepper
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 2 tablespoons pimento cheese
- Soak the green tomato slices in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Cook the bacon and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the masa harina, cornmeal and creole seasoning and place it in a wide and shallow dish.
- Pull the tomato slices out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minute per side and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Assemble sandwich and enjoy.
More BLT goodness:
Bacon and Fried Green Tomato Pimento Grilled Cheese