I certainly have been enjoying a lot of BLTs these days with all of the beautiful local, field ripened beefsteak tomatoes around! It can sometimes be difficult to imagine improving on an already amazing sandwich like the BLT but adding an egg is a good place to start! There are a lot of ways to add an egg to a BLT but the first thought that comes to my mind is in the form of a quick and easy egg salad made with creamy mayo and a touch of a tangy mustard. I guess that once you add egg to the mix it is no longer a BLT but it becomes a BELT sandwich! Of course an even easier way to add an egg to a BLT is to simply add a fried egg and with that runny yolk it is very hard to resist!
I had way too much fun experimenting with BELTs!
Look at that yolk just waiting to be burst!
The gratuitous runny yolk shots!
BELT (Bacon Egg Lettuce Tomato) Sandwich
A BLT, bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich with a creamy egg salad is even better than the original!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chives, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 strips of bacon, cooked
- 2 leaves of lettuce
- 1 ripe tomato (sliced)
- 2 slices of bread
- Place the eggs in a sauce pan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for six minutes.
- Transfer the eggs to a large bowl filled with cold water and let cool.
- Peel the eggs and mash the the desired consistency mixing in the mayonnaise, mustard and chives.
- Assemble sandwich and enjoy.