Over the last few days I enjoyed some
blackened swordfish and that reminded me of the blackened shrimp in the
fried green tomato with shrimp remoulade po’boy that I often make while green tomatoes are available. The
fried green tomato BLT sandwiches were still on my mind and I was craving more of them. With that thought the gears started to turn and I had a new idea; how about a fried green tomato BLT sandwich with shrimp remoulade? Once I got that idea stuck in my head there was little that could stop me from making them and I certainly glad that I did! I mean you really cannot go wrong adding plump and juicy shrimp seasoned with a tasty blend of herbs and spices with a touch of heat to an already great sandwich!
Fried Green Tomato BLT with Shrimp Remoulade
A twist on the classic BLT swapping out the ripe tomatoes for crispy cornmeal coated fried green tomatoes and adding blackened shrimp and a tasty remoulade sauce.
- 1 medium sized green tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) or flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- creole seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- 3 shrimp, shelled and deviened
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 1 tablespoon remoulade sauce
- Soak the green tomato slices in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Fry the bacon and set it aside retaining the grease in the pan.
- Mix the masa harina, cornmeal and creole seasoning and place it in a wide and shallow dish.
- Pull the tomato slices out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minute per side and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Toss the shrimp in the oil and creole seasoning to coat.
- Heat a pan over medium heat add the shrimp and saute until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Assemble sandwich and enjoy.