The other day I found myself thinking about making one of my favourite summer dishes, asparagus carbonara, and I thought that if I was making it anyways why not update the photos for the older recipe? I was all set to go when I remembered the roasted cauliflower and mushroom carbonara and I knew that a roasted asparagus and mushroom carbonara would be amazing since asparagus and mushrooms are such a fabulous combination! This carbonara recipe is pretty easy where you just need to cook the bacon while the vegetable roast and the pasta cooks and then you mix everything together with the sauce. As much as I enjoy the cauliflower version I think I like this asparagus one even better and it just screams summer!
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 4
Roasted asparagus and mushrooms in a creamy and cheesy egg sauce with plenty of fresh cracked black pepper.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fettuccine (or pasta of choice)
- 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces or 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- plenty of fresh cracked black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Toss the asparagus and mushrooms in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Cook the bacon in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 second and turn off the heat.
- Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
- Mix the pasta, egg mixture, asparagus and mushrooms into the pan with the bacon, adding reserved pasta water as needed.
Note: To speed things up, about 20 minutes into roasting the asparagus and mushrooms, get your pot of water for the pasta on the stove and start bringing it to a boil.
Option: Replace the parmigiano reggiano with pecorino romano.