Asparagus and mushrooms are a fabulous combination, one that I never tire of using, and my latest creation is an asparagus and mushroom poutine. Poutine is a Canadian dish where french fries are topped with cheese curds and gravy. I figured that the asparagus would make perfect ‘fries’ and I could toss the mushrooms in along with the cheese curds and top everything off with a tasty mushroom gravy. I always enjoy roasting vegetables, it helps bring out more flavour, and so I decided to roast both the asparagus and the mushrooms for the poutine. For the gravy I started things out by soaking some dried porcini mushrooms in broth and I used them along with some shallots, garlic, thyme and soy sauce to ensure that the gravy was full of flavour. I have too say that this is one tasty poutine; I mean, you really cannot go wrong taking an amazing combo like asparagus and mushrooms and topping them with cheese and a tasty gravy!
Add a fried egg and make a meal out of it!
Just look at that runny yolk!
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Poutine
A tasty summer poutine with roasted asparagus and mushrooms topped with cheese curds and a hot mushroom gravy.
- 1 cup beef broth, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces cheese curds or diced mozzarella
- Bring the broth and mushroom to a boil, turn off the heat and let sit until the mushrooms are tender, about 15-20 minutes, before straining the mushrooms, reserving the broth, and chopping the mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, toss the asparagus and mushrooms in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until they start to caramelize, about 20 minutes, mixing half way through.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the chopped mushrooms and cook until they start to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shallot, garlic and thyme and cook for a minute.
- Mix int the flour and cook for another minute before mixing in the broth and soy sauce, seasoning with salt and pepper and simmering until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Plate the roasted asparagus and mushrooms, top with cheese curds and hot gravy and enjoy!
Gnocchi Poutine with Short Rib Ragu and Gremolatta
Corned Beef Poutine with Guinness Gravy
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara
Morel Mushroom and Asparagus Eggs Benedict
Balsamic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes
Butter Chicken Poutine
Roast Asparagus and Mushroom Chicken Spinach Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Grilled Asparagus in a Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Sauce
Tuscan Roast Asparagus
Orange Sesame Roast Asparagus
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
This is the best thing I've seen all day!! Holy awesome!
Looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing.
Heather Christo says
I love this healthier version Kevin- yum!
What a great recipe Kevin! Love those egg shots!!
Kate @ Babaganosh.org says
That looks delicious. I love anything with a fried oozy egg on top, especially if it tops something green and colorful and healthy.
This is the most mouth-watering recipe I've seen in a while, thanks for posting it! I just bookmarked it 🙂
This is nothing short of amazing! I have to have it!!
Julie @ Table for Two says
I've never had poutine before and I'm DYING to try it!! I love that instead of the potatoes you used asparagus 😉 means more to eat haha
Cozinha Caseira says
Deve ser ótimo, delicioso. O aspeto é excelente.
Há passatempo a decorrer no meu blog para Portugal e Espanha, é fácil participar. Convido a ver:
Helene Peloquin says
This is a brilliant recipe Kevin. I love it!
OMG!!! I need to try this-stat. It looks crazy good.
Yumm!!! Dinner tonight!!:-)
Allie BakingAMoment says
What a delicious idea, and so much healthier than the traditional way! Pinning 😉
Alice // Hip Foodie Mom says
oh my gawd, Kevin! I love poutine!! love this spin on it and love the fried egg!! Put a fried egg on anything and I'm swooning. can't wait to try this!
Gloria Baker says
Beautiful kevin! You always have amazing recipes!
Jeannie D says
Going food shopping tomorrow…definitely buying the makings for this dish!
Oh dear! I've just died and gone to heaven! This will be my dinner every.single.day next week.
Kate Ramos says
You've outdone yourself this time Kevin. Fantastic!