One of my favourite Chinese takeout dishes has to be sweet and sour chicken or pork with juicy pieces of pineapple and crisp slices of bell pepper and it's super easy to make at home in under 20 minutes! As with a lot of my Chinese takeout recipes I like to omit the breading and deep frying and keep things nice and light with a quick and simple saute. This recipe is as easy to make as quickly cooking the chicken at a high temperature, adding the pineapple and bell pepper followed by the ingredients for the sauce and with a total cooking time of less than 10 minutes, this tasty dish is perfect for busy work nights!
Feel free to omit the red pepper and pineapple or use your favourite vegetables.
20 Minute Light Sweet and Sour Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
A quick, easy and lighter version of sweet and sour chicken that is so much better than takeout!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple, sliced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon chill sauce such as sambal oelek or sriracha
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice or chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until cooked through, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Add the red pepper and pineapple and cook until just tender but still crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mixture of the honey, vinegar, ketchup, chill sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger and the mixture of the water and the corn starch, toss to coat and cook until the sauce thickens, about a minute.
- Remove from heat, mix in the sesame oil and serve garnished with sliced green onions.
Option: Replace the chicken with pork.