Sweet chili sauce is one of my favourite condiments and it's super easy to make at home! You pretty much just need to puree some chilies and garlic, add a liquid, sugar, vinegar and a thickener and you are have some tasty homemade sweet chili sauce! One of the nice things about the sweet chili sauce recipe is that you can change it up by adding different things and in this case I went with a tropical theme by adding pineapple! In addition to adding the pineapple I switched the sugar for palm sugar to add a depth of flavour. If you love sweet chili sauce then you'll love this pineapple sweet chili sauce even more, both for the flavour and for the small chunks of pineapple which make this sweet chili sauce amazing!
Pineapple Sweet Chili Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 32(~2 cups or 32 1 tablespoon servings)
A tropical pineapple sweet chili sauce!
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 2 cayenne chilies, stems removed
- 2 birds eye chilies, stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup water or pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/2 cup palm sugar or sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Puree the pineapple, chilies and garlic along with the water in a food processor.
- Bring the pureed mixture, vinegar, lime juice an zest, sugar and salt to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Mix the cornstarch into the water, mix it into the sauce and simmer until the sauce thickens, about a minute.
Option: Use whichever red chilies you have available and add enough to get the level of heat to where you want.
Option: Instead of using chilies, use your favourite hot sauce, such as sriracha, to add the chili heat.