After rounding up my tastiest shrimp recipes I realized that I had not shared one of my favourites, coconut shrimp! Coconut shrimp are large shrimp served coated in a crispy golden brown panko breadcrumb and coconut mixture that are just asking to be dipped into some sweet chili sauce or better yet pineapple sweet chili sauce! I sometimes like to add a touch of lime zest to the breadcrumb mixture for a hint of citrus and you can always kick up the sweet chili sauce with something like apricot preserves if the pineapple sweet chili sauce does not float your boat. (I think the coconut and pineapple flavour combo is just fabulous!) This coconut lime shrimp is the perfect finger food for your next dinner party, it's also great on game night and to be completely honest, I like to make a large batch and just eat it as a meal!
Finger licking good!
Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
Quick and easy shrimp coated in a crispy golden brown coconut, served with sweet chili sauce for dipping.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- oil for frying
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, dredge them in flour, dip them in egg and coat them with a mixture of the breadcrumbs and shredded coconut.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and cook the shrimp until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, before setting aside on paper towels to drain.
Option: Add 2 teaspoons lime zest to the breadcrumb mixture.
Option: Serve with sweet chili sauce (optionally with apricot preserves mixed in) or pineapple sweet chili sauce.