When I was thinking about food for the long weekend the first thing that came to mind was burgers. I had been wanting to try these biftekia gemista or Greek feta stuffed burgers for a while and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. Biftekia yemista are essentially just beef patties seasoned with Greek flavours and stuffed with a big slab of feta. You really can’t go wrong with a huge piece of feta wrapped in tasty meat! These burgers are a breeze to make and they are nice and moist and juicy and really tasty even without the feta but the feta stuffing makes them great! You could easily serve these burgers in a bun but this time I served them just as patties along with a plate of feta fries and a side of a roasted cubanelle pepper and feta salad making for one tasty meal.
Biftekia Gemista (Feta Stuffed Burgers)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion (grated)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1 tespoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 pound feta
- Mix the beef, onion,garlic, oregano, paprika, parsley, lemon zest, egg, oil and bread crumbs in a large bowl.
- Grab 1/4 of the mixture, form a ball, flatten it to about 1/4 inch thick, place a slab of feta on one side, fold over to cover and seal the sides.
- Grill, broil or pan fry until cooked, about 5 minutes per side.