I often like to change things up a bit, like by having breakfast for dinner or a dessert for breakfast. When I cake across the concept of
carrot cake pancakes
Joy the Baker
I knew that I would be having a dessert for breakfast once again. Carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts and I like the idea of having them in pancake form for breakfast. I also really liked the idea of topping the pancakes with a cream cheese spread like the one used on a carrot cake instead of using syrup. I started with my basic pancake recipe and added some carrots and spices. I could not really have pancakes without maple syrup and since I was going to be spreading cream cheese on the pancakes I thought that mixing the maple syrup into the cream cheese spread would be a nice way to do it. The carrot cake pancakes were easy to make and tasted great! I stacked them on top of each other and spread cream cheese on top of each so they almost looked like a carrot cake in the end. The carrot cake pancakes with maple cream cheese spread tasted almost like carrot cake and I really enjoyed them. It is always nice to have dessert for breakfast!
Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup carrot (grated)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- powdered sugar to taste
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and in a large bowl.
- Mix the milk, egg, sugar and carrot in another bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix.
- Heat a pan and melt a touch of butter in it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Mix the cream cheese and maple syrup and add some powdered sugar to get it as sweet as you like.
- Spread the cream cheese onto the pancakes.