I am not really all that big on sweets but if you were to ask me what kind of cake that I wanted for a special occasion, I would probably say a Black Forest cake. A
Black Forest cake
is a German cake that is make with layers of chocolate cake soaked in a cherry liqueur, cherries and whipped cream and it is then coated in even more whipped cream maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings. I have had the idea of doing a breakfast version of a Black Forest cake in the form of Black Forest pancakes on my mind for a while now and now that fresh cherries are in season it was the perfect time to make them! I started things off by making some really easy chocolate pancakes and then I added a simple cherry sauce along with some whipped cream to create the layers of the Black Forest pancakes. It is always fun to have dessert for breakfast and these Black Forest pancakes with the amazing chocolate and cherry flavour combo are a decadently good way to go!
Black Forest Pancakes
Chocolate pancakes inspired by black forest cake served with cherries and whipped cream.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 splash kirsch (optional)
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the milk, egg, butter and kirsch in another large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and melt a touch of butter in it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and cook until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Repeat for the remaining batter.
- Meanwhile simmer the cherries, sugar, cornstarch and water over medium heat until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Whip the cream and sugar until it forms soft peaks.
Bacon Guinness Chocolate Pancakes with a Frothy Whipped Cream Head and Guinness Chocolate Syrup
Roast Cherry Dark Chocolate Brownie Sundaes
Blueberry Cheesecake Pancakes
Carrot Cake Pancakes
Cherry and Chocolate Stracciatella Ice Cream
Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Balsamic Roasted Cherry, Dark Chocolate and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Strawberry Lemon Ricotta Poppy Seed Pancakes
Dutch Babies with Lemon Curd and Blueberries
Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
Blueberry Zucchini Pancakes
Honey Lemon Zucchini Pancakes
Jalapeno and Cheddar Corn Pancakes with Bacon (aka Jalapeno Popper Pancakes)
Japanese Souffle Pancakes with Lemon Curd and Blueberries