One the the things that I like about weekends is that I have more time to spend on breakfast. Instead of quickly making something so that I can dash out the door on my way to work I have the time to actually make something nice and over the long weekend I took advantage of that. With the recent success of the fresh corn pancakes I had pancakes on my mind though this time I was thinking about blueberry pancakes. Mini blueberry cheesecakes were also dancing through my head and at some point the two ideas collided and I soon found myself obsessing about blueberry cheesecake pancakes!
I was thinking that I would keep things simple and start out with a basic pancake recipe that I would add big chunks of cream cheese to and top them with a blueberry sauce and crumbled cheesecake crust. There was however one small problem in that I wanted there to be nice big pieces of cream cheese in the finished pancakes and I was worried that it would melt while the pancakes cooked and disappear just like the cottage cheese does in my cottage cheese pancakes . After thinking about it for a while I decided to try freezing the cream cheese before mixing it into the batter and hopefully that would prevent it from melting too quickly.
The blueberry cheesecake pancakes turned out even better than I had hoped for! Not only did the cream cheese did not disappear but it also remained in nice big chunks in the pancakes that were just on the verge of melting and the hot pockets of cream cheese were absolutely magical! I left the blueberries in the blueberry sauce instead of straining it and it went perfectly with the cheesecake pancakes. The almond flavoured amaretti crumb crust was the final component that really took the pancakes over the edge. These blueberry cheesecake pancakes were a fantastic way to enjoy a lazy home cooked breakfast on the weekend!
Blueberry Cheesecake Pancakes
Blueberry cheesecake inspired pancakes stuffed with chunks of cream cheese and topped with a blueberry sauce and crumbled cheesecake amaretti crust.
- 1 (4 ounce) package of cream cheese, cut into 4 pieces and frozen over night
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (or oil)
- 1/2 cup blueberry syrup (see below)
- 1/4 cup crumbled amaretti crust
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix the milk, egg and butter in another large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Mix in the cream cheese.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and melt a touch of butter in it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and cook until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat for the remaining batter.
- Divide the pancakes between two plate and top with the blueberry syrup and crumbled amaretti crust.
A simple blueberry sauce that is perfect for topping vanilla ice cream, yogurt or even pancakes.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring the blueberries, water and sugar to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix the water and cornstarch, mix it into the blueberry sauce and simmer until it thickens, about a minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the lemon juice.
Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes
Fresh Corn Pancakes
Black Forest Pancakes
Strawberry Lemon Ricotta Poppy Seed Pancakes
Dutch Babies with Lemon Curd and Blueberries
Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
Blueberry Zucchini Pancakes
Honey Lemon Zucchini Pancakes
Jalapeno and Cheddar Corn Pancakes with Bacon (aka Jalapeno Popper Pancakes)
Japanese Souffle Pancakes with Lemon Curd and Blueberries