One of my favourite ways to enjoy spring asparagus is in a fresh asparagus pesto and it makes for a great meal when combined with pasta, chicken and more asparagus. Asparagus pesto is pretty much a regular basil pesto with asparagus added to the mix. I like to serve the asparagus pesto in pasta along with sliced asparagus to gets tons of asparagus flavour from the pesto along with the pleasure of the texture of al-dente, tender/crisp, asparagus to bite into! The fresh asparagus, fresh basil and lemon juice make this an amazing bright dish and the hints of parmesan and pine nuts add a creaminess and depth of flavour! I like to add pan seared, or grilled chicken to make for a complete meal!
Chicken Asparagus Pesto Pasta
Pasta in a fresh asparagus pesto with chicken and asparagus.
- 12 ounces pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or thighs), pounded thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup asparagus pesto
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly
- 2 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes per side, before setting aside to rest for 5 minutes and slicing.
- Bring a 1 inch of water in a pan to a boil, add the asparagus and cook until it just turns a bright green and is tender but still a little crisp, before draining and setting aside.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Toss the cooked pasta, sliced chicken, and asparagus with the pesto and lemon juice, along with enough of the reserved pasta water to make a nice sauce.
- Enjoy, garnished with parmesan, pine nuts and basil.