One of my favourite ways of enjoying asparagus is in a pesto made with asparagus, plenty of fresh basil, a touch of lemon and some parmesan cheese. Asparagus pesto is great with pasta but it also makes for a really nice sauce for pizza! This asparagus pizza is a fabulous spring meal! It’s basically pizza dough slathered with asparagus pesto, topped with cheese, prosciutto and asparagus that’s baked until the cheese has melted and the prosciutto is nice and crispy! The fresh asparagus goes so well with the ooey gooey melted cheese and the prosciutto adds an amazing saltiness. I like to serve this pizza with a drizzle of chili oil for some spicy heat.
A pizza with fresh asparagus and basil pesto, asparagus, prosciutto and plenty of melted cheese!
- 1 pizza dough
- 1/2 cup asparagus pesto
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/2 ounce prosciutto (~2 slices), torn
- 2 ounce asparagus (~ 4 stalks), cut into 1 inch pieces
- Form the dough into the desired shape, place on a baking pan, spread the asparagus pesto over the dough, sprinkle on the cheese followed by the prosciutto and asparagus.
- Bake in a preheated 500F/260C oven until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes.
Option: Use bacon instead of prosciutto.
Option: Serve with chili oil, red pepper flakes, grated parmesan, etc.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, Asparagus and Pistachio Pesto and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken
Asparagus Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza
Shrimp Scampi Pizza
Mediterranean Grilled Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Pizza with Feta and Balsamic Glaze
Jalapeno Popper Pizza
Loaded Baked Potato Broccoli Crust Pizza
Chicago Style Thin Crust Pizza
Thai Chicken Pizza with Sweet Chili Sauce
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon