I always enjoy tasty Chinese takeout but it’s also great to make at home! One of my favourite dishes has to be fried rice and it’s super easy to make! Something that I have been enjoying lately with my fried rice is replacing the main ingredient, the rice, with ‘riced’ cauliflower; basically cauliflower that has been grated so that it is in small rice sized pieces. One of the great things about fried rice is that you can throw in pretty much anything that you like and this recipe is a pretty standard one that starts out with Chinese sausage or bacon, chicken, a bunch of vegetables, the cauliflower rice and some seasonings. A great tip for making fried rice is to have everything ready and on hand before you start cooking as things move quickly once you start and for cauliflower fried rice you don’t want to over cook the cauliflower or it will get mushy. I have to say that cauliflower makes and excellent alternative to rice in fried rice that is lighter and healthier without all of the carbs!
Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice
Chicken fried rice that uses cauliflower instead of rice for a lighter and healthier way to enjoy fried rice.
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch slices or 1/4 cup pancetta or 1 Chinese lap cheong sausage, diced
- 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded or diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 head cauliflower, riced by grating by hand or in a food processor (~5 cups)
- 2 eggs, lightly scrambled
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (optional)
- chili sauce such as sambal oelek or srircha to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 3-5 minutes
- Add the chicken and stir-fry until cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 minutes before adding the carrot and peas and stir-frying for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice, mix everything up and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Make a well in the middle of the pan, add the eggs and let them sit for a minute before mixing them into everything and stir-frying for another 3 minutes.
- Mix in the mixture of the soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, chili sauce, sesame oil and green onions, remove from heat and enjoy.
Note: If you are using diced carrots,add them with the onions as they will take a bit longer to cook.
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Pineapple and Shrimp Fried Quinoa
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Kimchi Bokkeumbap (Kimchi Fried Rice)
Ham and Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice
Harvest Skillet Chicken with Apples, Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Crispy Baked Firecracker Tofu on Coconut Cauliflower Rice