When I was at the grocery store I noticed that they still had a lot of cheap pineapples and I remembered that I had recently come across a recipe for a
Thai pineapple fried rice in my bookmarks that sounded really good. I had not thought of adding sweet, juicy and tangy pineapple to a fried rice dish but the idea immediately stuck in my mind. I also noticed that the recipe called for a healthy dose of curry powder and combo’d with the pineapple it kind of reminded me of the
curried pineapple banana bread that I had recently made and really enjoyed. I was already sold on the dish and the shrimp, cashews and raisins just took it over the edge! I only made a few changes including using brown rice and fresh peas since I had already picked some up at the farmers market. Whenever I make stir-fries, I clean, slice, chop and make sure that I have everything ready and on hand before turning the heat on as things move quickly after you start. The Thai pineapple rice was pretty easy to make after the prep work was done and the results were fantastic. The finished dish was so vibrantly colourful and the curry gave it an amazing aroma. The juicy pineapple and succulent shrimp worked really well with the curry flavours in this fried rice. The curry and chilies added the perfect amount of heat that was balanced by the pineapple and the raisins while the cashews added a nice contrasting texture. I have been raving about how good this fried rice was since I made it. I have a feeling that this dish will enter my regular rotation and given that you could easily use canned pineapple you could easily make this dish year round. You could also easily make a vegetarian version by omitting the shrimp and making a few ingredient swaps.
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 red chili (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cashews (roasted)
- 3 cups cooked rice (preferably a day old)
- 1 cup pineapple (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/2 pound shrimp (cooked, optional)
- 1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup currants (or raisins)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the shallots, garlic, chillies and red pepper and stir-fry until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the egg and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, curry powder and sugar and stir-fry.
- Add the cashews and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice, break up any clumps and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the pineapple, shrimp, peas and raisins and stir-fry to mix them in.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with chopped green onions and cilantro.