I am particularly fond of Pad Thai , a Thai fried noodle dish, so when I came across the idea of a pad Thai omelette I was intrigued and had to try it. Pad Thai generally consists of rice noodles, egg, fish sauce, tamarind, palm sugar, chilies, bean sprouts and chicken and/or shrimp and it is garnished with peanuts, cilantro and lime juice. The combination of flavours and textures is quite amazing especially the artful blend of salty, sour, sweet and spicy! I normally consider omelettes for breakfast and the first thing that came to mind when I discovered the pad Thai omelette was that I hardly needed an excuse to eat pad Thai for breakfast!
Normally a pad Thai omelette would be full on pad Thai in an omelette but since I was looking at a breakfast version I decided to go with a slightly lighter version where I omitted the rice noodles. So essentially this is an omelette that contains all of my favourite flavours and ingredients from pad Thai minus the noodles. Although the list of ingredients is long, if you have everything on hand and ready to go once you turn the heat on, it is actually really easy to make! Even though a few of the ingredients may sound exotic and be hard to track down they all have easy to find replacements that can be used. I have to say that I quite enjoyed having pad Thai for breakfast in the form of an omelette!
Although folding the pad Thai in the omelette is nice I also like to go with an open faced version which is slightly easier to make and allows for more of the tasty ‘filling’ to be placed on top!
Pad Thai Omelette
All of the flavours of pad thai wrapped in a tasty omelette. Now you finally have an excuse to have pad thai for breakfast!
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate (or the juice from 1/2 lime)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 ounces shrimp, peeled and deviened
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 birds eye chili, sliced (optional)
- cilantro to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- lime wedges
- Heat the water, tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and chili until the sugar is dissolved and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp, shiitake, shallot and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce, bean sprouts, green onion and peanuts and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chili and cilantro and remove from heat and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and melt the butter over medium heat.
- Mix the eggs and the fish sauce, pour them into the pan and cook until almost set, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the shrimp mixture onto half of the omelette and fold the other half over.
Pad Thai Soup
Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pad Thai
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Omelette Topped with Marinara Sauce
Guacamole Omelette with Salsa
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Spicy Peanut Sauce Pad Thai
Pad Thai Shrimp Burgers
Chicken Pad Thai Nachos