I am a big fan of Thai cuisine and one of my favourite dishes is Pad Thai with another being anything with a Thai spicy peanut sauce and the was wondering about combining the two! The basic idea was to use all of the ingredients from pad thai including the rice noodles, shrimp, egg, bean sprouts, etc. and replacing the tamarind, fish sauce, palm sugar and chili sauce sauce with the spicy peanut sauce. This recipe is pretty much the pad thai recipe with peanut sauce and it is pretty easy to make. One thing that you want to do is to have everything prepared ahead of time as once the first ingredients hit the pan, everything is done in only a few minutes. The spicy peanut sauce works really well in this stir-fried noodle dish and although it is not pad thai it will definitely be making many appearances on my table!
Serve with lime wedges and extra sriracha for those that like it hot and spicy!
Spicy Peanut Sauce Pad Thai
‘Pad Thai’ fried noodles and shrimp is a spicy peanut sauce.
- 6 ounces rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 6 ounces shrimp, chicken or tofu
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup spicy peanut sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime lime cut into wedges
- Cook the noodles in water as directed on package until just pliable.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp, shallots and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the peanut sauce and noodles, mix and move to the side of the pan.
- Add the egg, let it set a bit and then mix it into the noodles.
- Add the peanuts and bean sprouts and cook for a minute.
- Add the green onions and cilantro and remove from heat.