This ham and pea pasta is an amazing meal for Spring! The sauce is a light tasting cream based sauce with lemon zest, peas and green onions that makes it bright and fresh! The ham brings a hit of salty flavour that is made even better by frying it in butter until its golden brown, which intensifies it’s flavours! The sauce takes about as much time to make as it takes to cook the pasta so you have a tasty meal in less than 30 minutes! There is just something magical about the salty ham in a light and creamy sauce with fresh peas and a hint of lemon and it screams spring!
Creamy Ham and Pea Pasta
A ham and pea pasta in a light creamy sauce!
- 12 ounces pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/3 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the ham and cook until lightly golden brown on all sides.
- Add the cream and cheese, bring to a simmer and simmer until the cheese has melted and the sauce thickens a bit.
- Drain the cooked pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pastas cooking water, toss the pasta in the ham and cream sauce before adding enough of the reserved pasta water to make a nice creamy sauce.
- Add the peas and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the green onions and enjoy!
Option: Use sour cream instead of heavy cream.
Option: Add bacon or pancetta, or replace some or all of the ham.
Option: Add parsley, or basil, or chives, etc.