When I was at the market on the weekend I saw some fava beans and I remembered seeing an interesting recipe for a fava bean pesto. I thought the combination of fava beans, mint, pecorino and lemon sounded interesting. I was hoping to do this with tagliatelle pasta but I could not find any and ended up using fettuccine. It was pretty good. The mint added a really nice "coolness". I would say that this would probably also be good on crostini.
Fava Bean Pesto on Fettucini
- 1 cup fava beans (removed from the pods and blanched)
- 2 tablespoons mint
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 cup pecorino cheese (grated) – you can substitute parmigiano reggiano if you wish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- lemon juice to taste (optional)
- salt to taste
- Place everything into a food processor and blend.
- Serve on cooked pasta or gluten free pasta and enjoy!