Up next for my homemade roasted red peppers was to use them in a sandwich along with some grilled eggplant and halloumi. Halloumi is a
Cypriot cheese that fries well, retaining its shape rather than melting and gets ‘squeaky’ once fried. Simple fried halloumi with a splash of lemon juice is amazing all by itself but it also makes a great addition to a sandwich such as this one! I am still a little conflicted as to whether I should be diving into fall dishes or relishing the final days of summer and summer won out with this sandwich and I finished it off with field ripened beefsteak tomatoes and some fresh homemade basil pesto !
Grilled Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich with Halloumi
These tasty grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper and halloumi sandwiches are a great way to enjoy late summers produce!
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 slices bread
- 8 ounces halloumi, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into 4 slices
- 2 cups salad greens
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- Lightly brush the eggplant and bread with oil and season the eggplant with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant over medium high heat until tender, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Lightly grill the bread and haloumi on both sides and then hit the halloumi with the lemon juice.
- Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!