Up next for my homemade
roasted red peppers
was to use them in a sandwich along with some grilled eggplant and halloumi.
Cypriot cheese that fries well, retaining its shape rather than melting and gets ‘squeaky’ once fried. Simple fried halloumi with a splash of lemon juice is amazing all by itself but it also makes a great addition to a sandwich such as this one! I am still a little conflicted as to whether I should be diving into fall dishes or relishing the final days of summer and summer won out with this sandwich and I finished it off with field ripened beefsteak tomatoes and some fresh homemade
Grilled Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich with Halloumi
These tasty grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper and halloumi sandwiches are a great way to enjoy late summers produce!
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 slices bread
- 8 ounces halloumi, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into 4 slices
- 2 cups salad greens
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- Lightly brush the eggplant and bread with oil and season the eggplant with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant over medium high heat until tender, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Lightly grill the bread and haloumi on both sides and then hit the halloumi with the lemon juice.
- Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!