One of my favourite fall combos is pumpkin and Italian sausage; there is just something magical about the pumpkin an savoury and spicy pork sausage! This pasta dinner is so easy to make! While the pasta is cooking, the sausage is cooked, followed by the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel, and sage. The sauce is made with a combination of chicken broth, pumpkin puree, cream, and parmesan, along with an optional hint of cinnamon. All said and done, this tasty pumpkin and sausage pasta takes less than 30 minutes!
Pumpkin and Sausage Pasta
A creamy pumpkin and sausage pasta with parmesan and sage!
- 8 ounces of pasta (such as rigatoni) (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or white wine)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package, reserving some to the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan/skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and cook, breaking it apart as it cooks, before setting aside.
- Cook the onion in the pan until tender, about 5-7 minutes. *
- Add the garlic, fennel, red pepper flakes, and sage and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon, mix well, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the cream and cheese, mix and let the cheese melt into the sauce.
- Add the sausage and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta, optionally adding some of that reserved pasta cooking water to get the sauce to the desired consistency.
Option: Omit the sausage for a vegetarian version.
Option: Replace the sage with rosemary, or thyme or use a combination of herbs.
Option: Instead of cinnamon use nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice.
Option: Replace the parmesan with pecorino or asiago.
Option: Replace the parmesan with chevre (goat cheese) or a mild blue cheese.
Option: Add 4-6 ounces fresh baby spinach after mixing in the parmesan.
Option: Garnish with brown butter crispy fried sage!
Option: Garnish with toasted chopped walnuts!
Option: Garnish with pepitas!
Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Tortellini
Butternut Squash Carbonara
Pumpkin Gnocchi in a Brown Butter and Sage Sauce
Butternut Squash and Feta Gratin
Moroccan Butternut Squash and Chickpea Tagine with Quinoa
Butternut Squash and Parmesan Pasta with Sage
Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna
Pumpkin Goat Cheese Fettuccine Alfredo with Crispy Fried Sage
One Pan 20 Minute Buffalo Chicken Tortellini
Spinach and Feta Cheese Tortellini
Zucchini Alfredo Sauce