Mayonnaise is a great condiment all by itself but it is always fun to add different flavours to it! These flavoured mayonnaises can be as simple as adding fresh basil for a chicken club sandwich or chipotle chilies in adobo for dipping sweet potato fries into. The possibilities and applications of flavoured mayonnaises are near limitless! For a recent project I was looking for something spicy and green with jalapenos and since raw jalapenos are a bit crunchy, roasted was the way to go. After throwing in a few extras including fresh cilantro and a hit of lime juice and this roasted jalapeno mayo was looking pretty tasty and ready to go.
Roasted Jalapeno Mayo
Mayonnaise flavoured with spicy roasted jalapenos and lime.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cut in half, stemmed, and seeded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 green onion
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down.
- Place the baking sheet on the top shelf in the oven and broil until the outer layer of the skin has blackened, about 8-14 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a zip-lock bag or other sealable container, seal and let them cool until you can handle them, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the peppers. The skins should easily “pinch” off.
- Puree everything.