recipe for a Korean Cucumber salad sounded pretty interesting. The dressing has a really nice combination of spiciness, sweetness and sourness. The spiciness comes from the gochugaru which is ground Korean chili peppers and the
which is a fermented Korean bean paste with chilies. You should be able to find the gochugaru and the gochujang at your local asian grocery store. This spicy dressing goes nicely with the cool and juicy cucumbers and the sweat and pungent onions.
Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup red onions (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon gochugaru (or other chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon gochujang
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (toasted)
- Mix the cucumbers and salt and let sit for 10-20 minutes.
- Mix the water and vinegar and let the onion sit in the mixture for 10-20 minutes.
- Rinse the cucumber and dry.
- Drain the onions.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and toss with the cucumber and onions.
- Top with some more toasted sesame seeds.
Creamy Dilled Cucumber Salad