I really like crab but I don’t have it all that often as it can be a little on the expensive side. While I was looking through the latest Food & Drink magazine I came across this recipe for a Thai green bean and crab salad which combined crab with some of my favorite Thai flavours and I knew that I would have to try it. I had to wait a couple of weeks for the fresh local green beans to show up at the farmers market but as soon as they did I picked some up. As with many Thai recipes one of the things that I really like about this one is the use of all of the fresh herbs. Of course the use of the peanut butter and peanuts in a savoury dish really did it for me as well. I made a few minor changes to the recipe in replacing the chicken stock in the dressing with coconut milk and adding a chopped up birds eye chili for some heat. The Thai green bean and crab salad turned out great! It was so fresh and light and good! The crisp yet tender green beans and red peppers formed a really nice base to this salad and the peanut butter and coconut milk dressing was very tasty! All of the fresh herbs really brightened up the salad and the chopped peanuts added a great contrasting texture. The crab of course was the center of attention and worked well with all of the flavours of the salad. This salad my be a bit of an indulgence with the crab but it was certainly worth it!
Thai Green Bean and Crab Salad
- 1 pound green beans (cleaned, and trimmed)
- 1 red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 pound crab meat (cooked)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup mint (chopped)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 birds eye chili (chopped)
- 1/4 cup peanuts (roasted and chopped)
- Cook the green beans in boiling water until they just start to turn tender but are still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Rinse the green beans under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Place the green beans, red pepper, crab meat, green onions, cilantro and mint in a large bowl.
- Mix the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice and zest, fish sauce and chili in a bowl.
- Toss the dressing and salad to coat and serve topped with peanuts.