While visiting festivals this summer I noticed a few places selling creative takes on dumplings which sounded like fun! With dumplings you have several ways to make things interesting including the flavours in the filling, how you cook them and what you serve them in/with or what you garnish them with! One of the first dumplings that I had to try were these Thai green curry pork dumplings in coconut sauce with crispy fried shallots where I take pork dumplings and serve them in a Thai style coconut green curry sauce. The pork filling is nice and simple being seasoned with a fresh homemade Thai green curry paste along with fish sauce and plenty of fresh basil and green onions. The coconut curry sauce is a basic curry sauce with the coconut milk, green curry paste, fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar for a perfect balance of sweet, salty, sour and spicy! The dumplings are fried in a little oil until the bottoms are nice and golden brown and crispy and then a bit of water is added, they are covered and steamed until cooked! The green curry pork dumplings are served in the coconut sauce topped with fresh chopped cilantro, slices of jalapeno and crispy fried shallots!
Make a meal out of it by adding zucchini or other veggies!
They’re great as appetizers!
Thai Green Curry Pork Dumplings in Coconut Sauce with Crispy Fried Shallots
Thai style curried pork dumplings served in a tasty green curry coconut sauce topped with crispy fried shallots.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chipped
- 48 dumpling wrappers
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or sugar)
- 2 tablespoons crispy fried shallots (optional garnish)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (optional garnish)
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- Mix the pork, curry paste, fish sauce, basil and green onions.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of the pork mixture into the centre of a wonton wrapper, wet the edges with water, fold and seal.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat, add the dumplings and cook until the bottoms are nice and golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes before adding the water, covering and cooking until the dumplings have finished cooking by steaming, about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in another pan over medium heat, add the curry paste and saute until nice and fragrant, about a minute, before adding the coconut milk and seasoning with fish sauce, lime juice and sugar to taste.
- Serve the dumplings in the coconut sauce topped with the crispy fried shallots, cilantro and sliced jalapeno.
Option: Replace 1/2 of the pork with shredded zucchini.
Option: Simmer sliced zucchini in the coconut sauce until tender.
Tip: Place the assembled dumplings on a greased surface while working on assembling the remaining ones so that they do not stick.
Shrimp Wonton Soup
Thai Green Curry Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf in a Coconut Milk Green Curry Sauce
Thai Fish Green Curry with Asparagus and Peas
Tilapia Baked in Thai Green Curry
Asparagus, Zucchini and Chickpea Green Curry
Kare Gyoza (Curry Potstickers)
Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Ravioli in Sage and Butter Sauce
20 Minute Thai Basil Beef