With the weather starting to get cooler I have been thinking about soups and stews a lot more. Even with the cooler weather, the markets still have a lot of late summers produce and I figured that it was the perfect time to enjoy some of those vegetables in a warm and hearty stew. I remembered seeing some tomatillos the week before and I was immediately thinking about a salsa verde and a green chili. A green chili, or a chili verde, is a chili that uses tomatillos and green chilis such as poblano and jalapeno chilies instead of tomatoes and red chilies. I tend to associate turkey with fall and it had been a very long time since I had used any so it was the natural meat for the chili. With the base of the chili done, I packed in more vegetables in the form of some zucchini and corn and I bulked everything up with some white beans. Despite the fact that the salsa verde was already bringing a lot of flavour to the table, I could not resist adding even more with a heaping tablespoon of cumin along with some oregano. This ended up being one really tasty chili that was also nice and tasty and it really hit the spot on a cool day!
Turkey and Zucchini Green Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 (19 ounce) can white beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 jalapeno peppers (or to taste, diced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound zucchini (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- Cook the turkey in a large pan over medium heat, breaking it apart as you go and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat, add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the stock, salsa verde, beans, oregano, peppers, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and corn and simmer until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cilantro.