This is a more traditional Greek salad, one without lettuce, that typically consists of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, olives, feta, olive oil, oregano and sometime a splash of red wine vinegar. This salad is super easy to make where you basically just need to slice the veggies and you are good to go! The feta is commonly served as a big slab on top of the salad but you can also serve it with the feta crumbled. This salad makes for a great side or even a light meal and it's perfect in the summer with all of the field ripened veggies around!
Updated: 2015/09/05: Updated photos.
Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata)
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes Servings: 4
A Greek style salad with tomatoes, cucumber, onion, pepper, olives and feta.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 16 kalamata olives, pits removed
- 8 ounces feta, sliced or crumbled
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Toss the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, pepper and olives in the olive oil, place it on a plate, top with the feta and sprinkle on the oregano along with a drizzle of olive oil.
Option: Add a splash of red wine vinegar.