I found some forced rhubarb at the farmers market on the weekend. Forced rhubarb is rhubarb that is grown out of season, indoors and in the dark. It has a nice pink colour and the leaves are a pale yellow. I decided to use the forced rhubarb to make a simple crisp. The forced rhubarb crisp was pretty good. It was slightly tart which was a nice change from normally sweet desserts. Of course it goes well with a scoop of melting vanilla ice cream.
- 2 pounds rhubarb (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- Mix the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla extract and place in a baking dish.
- Mix the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter and place on top of the rhubarb.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 30-40 minutes.