I could not let strawberry season go by without doing strawberry and rhubarb something. Strawberries and rhubarb are a classic combination. The sweetness of the strawberries goes really well with the tartness of the rhubarb. I decided to go with a rolled oats crumble. You cannot go wrong with rolled oats, brown sugar and butter. It was really tasty. Vanilla ice cream went well with it.
Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups strawberries (cleaned, hulled, quartered)
- 2 cups rhubarb (sliced into 1 inch pieces)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add the strawberries and rhubarb and toss to coat.
- Mix the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a large bowl bowl.
- Place the strawberry and rhubarb mixture into an 8×8 inch baking dish and pour the topping on.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
That has to be the most perfect non-chocolate dessert to be had anywhere!
I love the two together…. and the ice cream – just a pleasant bonus!
Peter M says
Kevin, strawberry & rhubarb are so Canadian…there is Canadian cuisine.
I can only drool. My sweetie does not care for rhubarb (pervert) so I hardly ever bother to do anything with it just for me. Sigh.
Ah, crumbles/cobblers are my favorite dessert. This looks great! I made something similar for Father’s Day this year – my dad loves strawberry rhubarb ANYTHING. 🙂