When I was younger I did not care for mangoes but I recently discovered that I like them… a lot. I have really been enjoying the mangoes lately, especially the mango crumble that I made a while ago. It was so good that I wanted to make it again. I had also been thinking about a strawberry and rhubarb crumble . After thinking for a while I decided to try combining mangoes and rhubarb in a mango and rhubarb crumble. I figured that the sweet mangoes would go well with the tart rhubarb. I went with a pretty basic recipe and added some grated ginger and coconut to make it a bit more exotic. The mango and rhubarb crisp turned out really well! The sweet mango and tart rhubarb and the hint of coconut was a really tasty flavour combination. Of course melting vanilla ice went really well with it!
Mango and Rhubarb Crumble
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups mango (diced)
- 2 cups rhubarb (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut (unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl.
- Add the mango, rhubarb, lemon juice and ginger and toss to coat.
- Mix the flour, rolled oats, coconut, brown sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- Place the mango and rhubarb mixture into an 8×8 inch baking dish and pour the topping on.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.