I never really though of using peanuts and in particular peanut butter in savoury dishes until I started food blogging. Since discovering the savoury side of peanut butter I have been thoroughly enjoying it! By far, my favorite savoury way to use peanut butter is a spicy Thai peanut sauce that also includes other Thai flavours such as freshly made Thai red curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice. I am always keeping an eye out for new ways to enjoy this peanut sauce and inspiration struck in the most recent issue of Food and Drink magazine in the form of spicy peanut pork dish. I really liked the idea of the dish but I found the recipe a bit lacking so I took the main ingredients including the rice noodles, the pork tenderloin, the peanut sauce and the red peppers and went from there. The first thing that I did was swap in my favorite peanut sauce for the one in the recipe and then I added more vegetables. Given that you are only sauteing the pork for a few minutes you want to start with a nice tender cut like the tenderloin.
Like most sautes, things move quickly once you start cooking so you will want to have everything cleaned and chopped and really to go before you turn on the heat. Once your prep work is done the rest is really quick and simple. The spicy peanut pork noodle saute turned out great! The tasty peanut sauce covered all of the noodles, pork, and vegetables ensuring that every bite was full of flavour and a bit of heat! The pork cooked up nice and tender and I really enjoyed the vegetable combination. Of course the chopped peanuts added a great crunchy texture to the dish. This turned out to be another great way to enjoy peanut butter in a savoury dish and I will definitely be making it again!
Thai Peanut Pork Noodle Saute(makes 4 servings)
1/2 package rice noodles
1 pork tenderloin (sliced thinly)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 bunch green onions (whites and greens separated)
1 red pepper (thinly sliced)
1 carrot (julienned)
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup peanut sauce
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
1 handful roasted peanuts (chopped)
1. Place the rice noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan on med-high heat.
3. Add the pork and saute until cooked, about 4 minutes and set aside.
4. Add the whites of the green onions and the red pepper saute for 3 minutes.
5. Add the carrots and saute for another minute and set aside.
6. Add the peanut sauce to the pan and bring to a boil.
7. Drain the noodles and add them to the pan along with the pork and beansprouts and toss to coat.
8. Remove from heat, mix in the the greens of the green onions and cilantro and garnish with the peanuts.
Thai Peanut Turkey Burger
Thai Peanut Chicken Pizza
Moo Satay (Pork Satay) with Curried Peanut Sauce
Thai Green Bean and Crab Salad
Spicy Peanut Shrimp Sandwich with Thai Style Slaw
Spicy Peanut Sauce Pad Thai