Although a ham dinner is pretty amazing I sometimes think that I like the leftovers even more, especially that ham bone! One of my favourite ways of enjoying the ham bone and some of the ham leftovers is in a ham and bean soup which is so easy to make and so unbelievably good; pure comfort food! This time I thought that I would change things up and instead of making a classic ham and bean soup I would make a baked bean themed ham and bean soup. I started out with my standard ham and bean soup recipe including the classic onion, carrot and celery combo followed by ham broth and the beans but then I took a u-turn and started with the baked bean flavours including a sweetener, molasses, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce and a splash cider vinegar. Instead of using simple brown sugar for the sweetener I went with maple syrup to add another layer of flavour and I kicked things up a bit with a hit of bourbon and spicy chipotle chilies before finishing the soup off with the ham. This ham and baked bean soup is a great way to enjoy the ham bone and leftover ham in a way that makes the ham dinner look a little boring, though definitely worth it!
Serve with crusty bread to mop up every last drop!
A bowl of this ham and baked bean soup would be amazing for breakfast!
Maple and Bourbon Ham and Baked Bean Soup
A ham and bean soup with all of the flavours of maple bourbon baked beans!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Soak Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups ham broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 pound dried white beans such as navy, great northern, cannellini, picked over and soaked overnight in water
- 1 ham bone
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, white beans and ham bone, maple syrup, bourbon, ketchup, molasses, mustard, worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar and chipotle chili in adobo, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, until the beans are tender, about 1-2 hours.
- Remove the bone, optionally puree some of the soup with a blender, add the ham and season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
For Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1 & 2, place everything except the diced ham in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 3-4 hours before implementing step 4.
Option: Replace the ham with 1/2 pound bacon, cut into one inch pieces and cooked for a maple, bourbon and bacon baked bean soup!
Ham and Bean Soup
Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam
Pasta e Fagioli Soup (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)
Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Ham and Chickpea Soup
Ham and Lentil Soup
Split Pea Soup
Slow Roasted Tomato Bacon Jam
Looking for more soup recipes?