Up next for National Grilled Cheese month is a chicken gyro grilled cheese with all of the flavours of a chicken gyro! This is one really impressive grilled cheese containing chicken souvlaki , a Greek style grilled meat on a stick, tomato, onion, tzatziki, feta, and plenty of melted cheese, preferably a Greek melt-y cheese like kasseri. Normally gryos are made with meat that is roasted on a vertical spit but chicken souvlaki is easier to make at home and just as tasty; I mean your really cannot go wrong with grilled meat on a stick! When I had the opportunity to visit Greece a few years ago I had a few gyros and my favourite by far was a chicken one where there were roasted red peppers layered in between the chicken on the spit and since then I have always added roasted red peppers to my gyros and my gyro grilled cheese just had to have them! I have to say that this is one really tasty addition to my grilled cheese lineup and definitely worth the effort to make!
This is one grilled cheese sandwich that certainly eats like a meal, serve with a salad and lemon roasted potato wedges to complete it!
Chicken Gyro Grilled Cheese (aka The Gyro Melt)
A massive grilled cheese sandwich with all of the flavours of a gyro including grilled chicken souvlaki, roasted red pepper, tomato, onion, tzatziki, feta, and plenty of melted cheese.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices kasseri or mozzarella (or 1/2 cup shredded)
- 1/4 cup chicken souvlaki, warm
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 1+ tablespoon red onion, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon tzatziki sauce
- 1/2 roasted red pepper (optional)
- 2 slices tomato
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the chicken souvlaki, feta, red onion, tzatziki, roasted red pepper, tomato, the remaining kasseri and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.