Baconnaise (aka bacon mayonnaise) is my new obsession! Bacon is the food of the gods and making mayonnaise with it means that you can slather that bacon-y goodness all over everything!
It is pretty easy to make your own mayonnaise but I generally just go with the convenience of the jarred stuff, that is until baconnaise arrived. Mayonnaise is an emulsion of oil, egg yolks and lemon juice (or vinegar) that turns the liquid oil into a thick and creamy sauce that is spreadable. Mayonnaise can be seasoned with flavours with common ingredients being mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, etc. For baconnaise however some of the oil is replaced with rendered bacon grease, the dripping left over after cooking bacon, which infuses the mayonnaise with tons of smoky bacon flavour! Once the baconnaise is made I like to mix in some cooked and crumbled bacon to add even more bacon flavour and some crunchy bacon texture! Yum! Mayonnaise will never be the same! This baconnaise gas become a staple in my fridge!
The baconnaise, after emulsion in the food processor and before adding the crumbled bacon:
Baconnaise (aka Bacon Mayonnaise)
Baconaise: A homemade mayonnaise made with plenty of bacon!!!
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup rendered bacon fat, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pinch smoked hot paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Mix the egg yolks, mustard, mayonnaise, and lemon juice, place in a food processor, turn it on and slowly pour the mixture of the oil and bacon fat in a thin stream into the food precessor.
- Mix in the paprika, salt, pepper, green onions, and bacon bits and enjoy!
Note: The mayonnaise is included to help with emulsification and it can be removed.
Option: Replace the paprika with chipotle chili powder!
Note: If the baconaise is thick you can stream in a small amount of water to get it to a nice creamy texture!
BLT (Bacon Lettuce and Tomato) Sandwich
Grilled Chicken and Club Sandwich
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Roast Turkey Club Sandwich with Cranberry Sauce
Mexican Corn on the Cob (Elote)
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)