The local blueberries are in season and I could not let them go by without making one of my favorite breakfasts, blueberry coffee cake. This recipe comes from my mother. I really like the way the sugar on top is crispy and lemony. The coffee cake itself is light and fluffy and full of blueberry goodness. This coffee cake freezes well so you can easily store any leftovers for another time.
Blueberry and Lemon Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter (soft)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 cup wild blueberries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix in the eggs.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the flour mixture and milk into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Mix in the blueberries.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9′ x 9′ baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 374F oven for about 40 minutes.
- Mix the lemon juice and rind with the icing sugar.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the coffee cake.
- Sprinkle the sugar onto the coffee cake.
- Place the coffee cake under the broiler until the sugar bubbles, about 2 minutes.
Blueberry Maple Oatmeal Muffins with Pecan Streusel
Cranberry Crumb Coffeecake
Lemon Yogurt Cake with Blueberries
Blueberry Crumb Coffeecake
Blueberry Mochi Cake
Strawberries and Cream Coffee Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze
Dutch Babies with Lemon Curd and Blueberries
Lemon Almond Cake