I just couldn’t let blueberry season go by without making some blueberry muffins! I wanted to try a healthier muffin recipe and a quick search turned up this recipe for blueberry oatmeal muffins . I liked the sound of using the rolled oats in the muffins along with whole wheat flour and a mashed banana and some vanilla yogurt for some extra moisture and flavour. Of course I could not resist replacing some of the sugar with maple syrup. Next, I just had to work in some pecans and I though that a pecan streusel would be a good idea. I had to make one unexpected additional change to the recipe as I was out of vegetable oil and I replaced it with an equal amount of butter. The blueberry muffins turned out great! I don’t even want to say how many I ate when they were fresh out of the oven. The muffins were super moist and had a really nice light and yet substantial texture and they full of flavour! The pecan streusel topping worked out surprisingly well. It stuck to the muffins and provided additional texture and flavour to every bite of muffiny goodness. These muffins are going to disappear way too quickly.
Blueberry Maple Oatmeal Muffins with Pecan Streusel
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 over ripe banana (mashed)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup flour
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, yogurt, banana, butter, egg and rolled oats in a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients along with the blueberries until just mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased muffin pan.
- Mix the pecans, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter until they form crumbs.
- Spoon some of the streusel onto the muffins.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven for about 20 minutes.
Blueberry and Lemon Coffeecake
No Bake Cheesecake
Blueberry Crumb Coffeecake
Blueberry Crumb Bars with Lemon Cream Filling
Blueberry Maple Oatmeal Smoothie
Medjool Date and Walnut Bread
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
Apricot and Ginger Muffins
Blueberry Maple Pecan Cinnamon Buns
Cheesecake Stuffed Apple Muffins with Streusel Topping and Caramel Sauce
Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Pancakes