When I came across this recipe for blueberry streusel bars with lemon cream filling on The Recipe Girl I added it to my meal plan right away. With blueberries, lemon, crumbs and cream, how can you go wrong? I really like the blueberry and lemon combo and this sounded like a nice take on it. When I looked at the recipe for the cream layer I noticed that it looked a lot like the recipe for key lime pie filling only with lemon so I knew that it was going to be really good. The recipe for the actual bars also looked very similar to the recipe that I use for crumb bars . So we basically have blueberry crumb bars with a lemon key lime pie filling! It just keeps getting better and better. I modified the recipe a bit by reducing the the amount so that it would fit into my 8 inch square baking dish and I replaced some of the flour with whole wheat flour to make it a bit healthier. The bars were really easy to make and they turned out so well! The blueberry and lemon cream combo was amazingly good and the sweet crumb topping finished off the bars perfectly. Tip: For crumb bars like these you want to make sure that you press the bottom layer into the dish well so that the bars hold together.
Blueberry Crumb Bars with Lemon Cream Filling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg (separated)
- 3/4 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups blueberries
- Mix the butter, flours, rolled oats, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl until it forms crumbs.
- Set 1 cup of the mixture aside for the topping.
- Mix the egg white into the mixture.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the egg yolk into the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and zest and let it sit.
- Spread the blueberries out over the bottom crust and top with the lemon mixture.
- Bake until the lemon mixture forms a shiny skin, about 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the reserved crumbs.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 20-25 minutes.
Blueberry Crumb Coffeecake
Blueberry Maple Oatmeal Muffins with Pecan Streusel
Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes
Strawberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars
Dutch Babies with Lemon Curd and Blueberries
Lemon New York Style Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust
Japanese Souffle Cheesecake
Blueberry Swirl Lemon Cheesecake