Caramel sauce is one of my all time favourite foods and butterscotch sauce is just as good! Both are the simple combination of butter, sugar and cream with the difference being that caramel sauce is made with white sugar and butterscotch sauce is made with brown sugar. The recipe is simple; you melt butter in a pan, add the brown sugar and cook until it’s bubbling, before adding the cream, and bringing back to a boil and cooking until it reaches 225F. It’s that easy!
A quick and easy homemade butterscotch sauce that’s perfect for ice cream, cakes, etc!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and heat until bubbling.
- Add the brown sugar and salt, let it melt and heat until bubbling.
- Carefully add the cream and let it simmer until it reaches 225F/110C before adding the vanilla extract and letting it cool!